Gone are the days of the alcohol based toners, you know the ones that used to sting, and made your skin feel tighter than 80s leather pants.
After chatting with a group of women about their daily skin care routine, we really weren’t surprised to find out that 7 out of 10 women do not use a toner in their routine at all.
So, we put the question, is toner necessary in your daily skin care routine, to a group of skin care professionals, and were surprised when all of them said yes. They went on to say that using a great toner will always benefit your skin; and should be used in your daily skin care routine. Some even went as far to say that it is crucial to include a toner.
Previously, toners have been generally known to be used on skin that is prone to breakouts; however we bet you didn’t know what else a good toner will do for your skin. According to our experts a good toner will also do the following five things:
- It protects your skin. When used directly after cleansing your skin, a toner will close pores and tighten cell gaps. A toner also assists in protecting your skin against impurities and bacteria.
- It shrinks pores. By using a toner to gently blot your face you will remove oil and impurities making your pores appear smaller.
- It restores PH levels. Did you know that water can even disrupt your skins PH level? By using a toner you can bring your skins PH levels back to normal so your skin functions the way it should. The hydrolipidic barrier, which is your skins protective film, benefits greatly from using a daily toner. Your skin will thank you, as it will feel replenished and hydrated.
- It helps your skin to absorb serums and moisturisers. Toners have been known to assist your skin to absorb other skin applications much faster.
- It reduces acne. Acne brings with it a whole lot of issues besides break outs, it can also make your skin appear oily and dull. Toners can assist by removing oil build up and the residue of dead skin cells. Toners also assist in helping prevent future break outs.
You should also know that a toner should never sting or burn your skin, and if it does you should cease using it immediately.
If you have sensitive skin or are prone to break outs, our Treat Me Skincare, Prep Me native toner will work wonders for you. Infused with soothing Aloe Vera and delicious fruit extracts, our standout ingredient is wild-harvested Quandong Extract (Australian Native Peach). Behaving similarly to alpha hydroxy acid (AHA), Quandong Extract naturally exfoliates dead skin cells that can lead to breakouts and rough, dull patches, and works to reveal clearer, smoother, healthy skin. Perfect for use on clean skin, under or over makeup, our toning mist leaves your skin feeling refreshed and hydrated.